Nutrition and Health
HEALTH AND NUTRITION AFTER CHILDBIRTH:
- Eating a variety of healthy foods is important to help you keep your energy while you heal. Good nutrition helps make good breast milk and lose extra baby pounds.
- Your body needs proteins, fats and carbohydrates for energy.
- Eat a diet rich in fiber like whole grain breads, cereals, raw vegetables, raw and dried fruits and beans.
- Drink plenty of fluids especially water
- Eat small snacks throughout the day to keep up your energy, and try not to skip meals.
- Exercise helps to improve mood and helps your body get back to its pre-pregnancy shape. In general, you can start exercising 4-6 weeks after a vaginal delivery, and longer after Cesarean Sections, this will be discussed in more detail at your postpartum appointment.
- Kegels exercises are very important to do in order to regain strength in your pelvic muscles. These you can do while sitting or standing as early as 1-2 weeks after delivery. If incontinence is an issue and does not resolve with around 3-6 months (and sometimes longer) and with persistent Kegels, contact the office.